I’m not sure how it started, but I suddenly found out one day that I can bake. Sure I know how to cook, but I never considered baking would be one of my favorite hobbies.
Three years ago, I remembered watching Lifestyle TV’s Barefoot Contessa and Ina Garten (the show’s host) was making mouth-watering blueberry muffins. I thought, why not try making my own muffins? But what recipe should I follow first?
The next day, I browsed through magazine stands and bought a Yummy mag. Their June 2009 issue featured Aileen Anastacio’s (co-host of QTV’s True Confections) Banana Choco- Chip bread. I’ve been following True Confections ‘til the show folded up. It was a fairly easy recipe that doesn’t require special tools nor gadgets. Just the perfect recipe for first time, baker wannabes like me.
I just want to share the basic recipe for this, although over the years, I’ve put in some variations while making this. If you like to put in some raisins, almonds or walnuts, feel free to do so. You can also convert these into muffins!
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
¾ cup corn oil
2 medium size eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
(TIP: use the darkest brown sugar you can find. Moscovado if you want. The darker, the richer the color of the banana bread, plus I heard dark brown sugar is healthier.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients first in a medium bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift then stir to mix.
- In another bowl, combine sugar and corn oil. Add eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and mashed bananas.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add the banana chips and mix just until combined. Pour mixture into loaf pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove bread from the oven then allow to cool for about 20 minutes before removing, then cool for another 15 minutes before serving.